MACES is the student association that represents Continuing Studies students at McGill University.
Frequently Asked Questions


1. Where is the MACES Building located?

MACES is located on 3437 Peel Street, Montreal H3A 1W7

2. What are MACES Building hours?


Monday - Friday: 10:00 am - 19:00 pm

Saturday: CLOSED

Sunday: CLOSED

3. Who can use the building?

Only SCS students who are actively taking courses for the semester have access to the building. To access the building you must use your McGill student card.

4. How can I book the conference room for a group meeting?

Please book the conference room using the online reservation system.

5. I would like to host an event at the MACES Building

All event requests must be directed to the Building Director at

6. What are the elections about?

The McGill Association of Continuing Education Students (MACES) is holding elections for five (5) executive positions on its Board of Directors. These positions will involve helping to run MACES with the other executives and performing the duties related to the positions in question. Becoming a MACES executive is a great way to get involved in student life and to put your skills to use to improve the experience of everyone at the School of Continuing Studies. 

7. When are the elections happening?

Nomination Period:                  January 25th – February 7th, 2016

Information session:                TBA

Campaign Period:                    February 9th - February 19th, 2016

Elections Debate:                     February 19th, 2016

Online Voting Period:             February 22nd - February 28th, 2016

8. Which positions are available?

Five (5) positions are available for the 2016 MACES Executive Elections:

  • VP Finance/Treasurer
  • VP Academic Affairs/ Senator 1
  • VP Communications/ External Affairs
  • VP Internal  Affairs
  • Governor/ Senator 2


9. Who can run?

Any member of MACES who is currently a registered student in a credit course at the School of Continuing Studies. In order to complete their term, an elected candidate must then be registered for courses at SCS for at least two semesters of an academic year (from September 1 to August 31). If, during his or her term, an executive no longer meets these criteria, he or she must resign.  Please keep in mind that becoming a Board member entails certain legal responsibilities to execute your duties in a competent and committed manner. To fulfill these obligations you must show commitment to your position and be able to communicate fluently in English (verbal and written), French an asset.

10. Why should I run?

Becoming a MACES executive is a great way to get involved in student life. It’s also a way to put your skills to good use by helping your fellow students to get the most out of their experience at the School of Continuing Studies. Plus, it will look great on your résumé and be a definite talking point in a job interview.

If you think you have what it takes, you should really consider running. 

11. Can I run for more than one position?

No. According to the MACES bylaws, you can only run for one position. 

12. What do I need to do to run for a position?

To run for one of the three positions available this year, all you need to do is:

  1. You must be a currently registered student in a credit course at the School of Continuing Studies.
  2. Fill out a nomination form and get at least five (5) students registered at the School of Continuing Studies to sign it. (We recommend getting two or three extra signatures, just in case someone is not actually registered or in case there is some other issue with a signature.)
  3. Provide a 500 word platform in English or French to posted on the MACES Elections website, explaining:
  1. Why you should be elected?
  2. What experience(s) you have that make you the ideal candidate?
  3. What can you so to make a difference for MACES and for Continuing Studies?
  1. Submit a Curriculum Vitae (CV), of maximum two (2) pages, outlining relevant experiences and language skills. For each language mentioned, candidates must indicate their level of proficiency.
  2. Provide a photo of yourself so that we can use it to let people know who is running. Photos will be posted along with your platform on the MACES website and may be used in e-mails to students to publicize the elections and remind them who is running.

You should submit everything by e-mail to before the deadline for nominations at 5:00 PM on February 7th, 2016.


13. Where can I find the documents I need?

All of the documents you need to run in the elections, including nomination forms, will be made available on the MACES website –

14. How will students vote?

All voting will take place electronically. When the voting period starts Continuing Studies students will receive an e-mail with a link to the voting website. All it takes is a few clicks, and you’re done!


15. Will I get paid if I’m elected?

The Board of Director members receive an honorarium of $5,500.00 each, per year, payable in three instalments each year, subject to certain conditions. For more information, see article 21 of the MACES By-laws.


1. Where do I go if I have questions about my program of study, courses and fees?

All questions regarding programs of study and fees must be directed to Client Services,School of Continuing Studies.

688 Sherbrooke Street West,
11th floor
Montreal, Quebec
H3A 3R1

Tel.: 514-398-6200
Fax: 514-398-4448

2. I have a problem with my instructor, or have a complaint about my course(s), who can I talk to?

Students can contact the relevant program coordinator for their program of study or they contact the MACES VP Academic Affairs for assistance.

3. I need to improve my writing for class assignments and projects, where can I go for help?

The McGill Writing Centre offers a tutorial service to McGill students. Contact them to book an appointment -

4. Where is the Final Exams Schedule published?

You can find the full Final Exams schedule on the School of Continuing Studies website (homepage).

5. My exam is tonight, and I do not know the location. Where can I get this information?

Please consult the Exam Schedule that is available on the School of Continuing Studies’ homepage or
You will also find a copy of the Final Exam Schedule posted at MACES notice boards during the exam period.

6. I don’t have my laptop on me, where can I get access to a computer on campus?

For quick access to a computer pass by either the MACES building or the McLennan Library.

7. I have an emergency and I need to defer my exam. Who should I contact?

You are advised to check the following link:
Information regarding exam deferrals are available on the School of Continuing Studies website.You may also need to contact your program advisor for more information.

8. I need an advice regarding my program of study or a course substitution. Who can help me?

Please contact a program advisor at the School of Continuing Studies for more information. If you are still unsure as to how to proceed, you may send an email to MACES VP Academic Affairs who will refer you to the right resource.

9. Why do I need to fill the Course Evaluation form at the end of the course?

Course evaluations are designed to enhance and improve the course offerings and curriculum at SCS. As a student, your opinion counts and your responses remain anonymous. It takes 5 to 10 minutes to complete the form. You can make the difference! For more information, please visit